Saturday

My Grandpa.


The man in the white shirt whose being interviewed is my grandpa :) Now this episode was shown a long time ago but I don't know why I was pretty ambivalent about it then. My grandpa has been doing this for well over 60 years now and I'm so proud of him. I've always taken what he does for granted. But after spending the night, asking my grandpa questions about his past and listening to his stories of how he came to Kuching all the way from a remote village in Fujian province, I've a newfound respect for my grandpa.

I guess you could jolly well call this an epiphany or maybe it was just the after effects of the Starbucks caramel macchiato I had earlier in the evening...hmmm. Anyways, I've never been ignorant of this. Hell, I've even tried taking up the "er hu" but damnit the fiddle hated me :( And after two agonizing lessons, sitting around just envying those around me making magic with their own "er hu", I glared at 'em grapes and convinced myself that those grapes looked sour, will taste sour and walked away exactly like what Mr Fox did. Till this very day, I madly envy anyone who plays any form of chinese instrument.

To everyone, please take the time, sit down with either one of your grandparents ( even if it's just 15 minutes ) and ask them for stories about their past and trust me, they will share with all their hearts whatever they can remember. And it is for you to remember whatever they can share. Every family has a history. I think it's time you embrace and learn about yours :)

2 comments:

teddykins said...

(: I MISS AEC. If possible, I want to watch it! I used to watch that series! Yea, I miss my grandparents too. ): Guess distance makes it hard.

sarahsays said...

I'm sure your grandparents miss you tons and tons and tons Jo :) AEC's good hahahaha